historic linwood cemetery homepage historic linwood cemetery homepage
linwood cemetery columbus, georgia About Linwood Visit Linwood Restoration Volunteer Membership Newsletter Links
donation for restoration linwood cemetery columbus georgia
STONE CARVING. Linwood Cemetery is not only a memorial garden to commemorate the deceased, it is also an open-air museum of the art that out lives life, left behind to celebrate all the lives lived and lost. READ ON »»

RESTORATION. Preservation of our history in the face of decay is truly a noble aim. To make sure that future generations can enjoy the serenity of the cemetery, we gladly and thankfully accept donations. READ ON »»

VOLUNTEER. Time is relentless, constantly working to erode the past. It is our duty to stave off this erosion. With so much restoration already accomplished, there is still much to be done, including the restitution of the century old Edmond Cole upright grand piano. READ ON »»


Gates open 7:00AM - 7:00PM daily,
Including weekends and holidays.

Mon - Thurs 9:00AM - 3:00PM daily.
Closed holidays.
upcoming events 21st Annual Linwood Fall Ramble
Thursday, October 19th, 2017 upcoming events
Contact the Foundation
~ 706.321.8285
upcoming events

July 5th, 2010

Did You Know?

Did you know that William H. Young, one of Columbus’ earliest industrialists is buried in Linwood? Mr. Young was born in New York and came to Columbus when he was 17 years old. He became one of the most successful business pioneers in Columbus. He was the city’s first successful textile entrepreneur. He worked several businesses until in 1851 he established the Eagle Manufacturing Company, realizing that Columbus was going to be a textile-manufacturing site because of its water power.
His mill created an effective hydro-system building wooden dams, and later a rock dam which spanned the entire river. The mill produced a wide variety of products that were bought by country stores. In 1860 the Eagle Mill absorbed the Howard Factory, which made it the second largest mill in Georgia.
Mr. Young was president of the Bank of Columbus, and was responsible for the Georgia Home Insurance COmpany which built the cast iron building on Broad Street. Materials were shipped from England to build it. The building was erected after the Civil War and later became the First National Bank. During the Civil War the Eagle Mill contributed to the Confederacy. Young ran the mill twenty-four hours a day and sold the goods at half price to the Confederacy and people in Columbus. They bought War bonds, contributed to the poor, and built the city’s first free school. Wilson’s raid on Columbus in on Easter Sunday in 1865 burned the mill. Although wartime depleted the funding of many companies, after the war Young re-organized the manufacturing business and called it the Eagle and Phenix Manufacturing Company. He traveled to England to acquire the most sophisticated equipment. By 1883 they were the largest mill in the south and had about 2,000 employees. William Young maintained a positive relationship with workers, had marketing skills and hired capable men to help him. (To learn more about Columbus Industrialists, contact the office for a tour .. 706-321-8285).
Deby Payne